ALTERNATIVES TO IMPRISONMENT
IDENTIFICATION AND EXCHANGE OF GOOD PRACTICES
Since 1970s, the alternative measures have spread inside the Member States albeit in a non-homogeneous way. European Recommendations and national legislation press for their wider application, also considering the high level of recidivism linked to the expiation of prison sentences. So, it is important develop researches that are able to provide a panoramic about the alternative measures existent in the different European Country (Bulgaria, Croatia, The Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom) with a reference also to a particular vulnerable groups (i.e. women, minor, drug addicted, etc.), as well as of the most efficient in the reduction of the recidivism and of by the point of view of the balance costs-benefits.
• Identification and exchange of good practices in the EU State Partners;
• Diffusion of a culture oriented to the alternative measures and to the knowledge about the mechanisms of application between social and juridical operators.
Methodology (actions of the project)
- Literature review about the alternative measures in Europe;
- Identification of appropriate alternative measures existent in the Member States referred to the different phases of the penal process, focalised on the working mechanisms and on the reality of the alternative measures;
- Study-visits aimed to increase the aspects linked to the prison systems of the different US Country involved;
- Data collection and analyses about prison population andpersons serving their sentences in community sanction;
- Identification of good practices, with particular regard to the recidivism rate and to the balance cost-benefit of the measures analysed (compared with that linked to detention);
- Publication of Guide-manual explaining the most efficient measures existent in the Member States partner and the mechanism useful to their application;
- Dissemination of results with more than 20 seminars at the national level (IT,BG) for the awareness of the juridical and social operators;
- 2 International Conference planned for March 2016 (IT-Milan, BG-Sofia) for expert and general public!
Associazione LIBRA Onlus (IT)
SVCCC Foundation (BG)
University of Tilburg (NL)
Federación Andaluza ENLACE (ES)
SLAM – NHS | South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (UK)
University of Rijeka (HR)
ACT | Associazione Carcere e Territorio di Brescia (IT)
AIGA | Associazione Italiana Giovani Avvocati (IT)
Provincia di Mantova (IT)
Offender Supervision in Europe (IRLAND)
DAP Regione Lombardia (IT)
GRANT AGREEMENT nr. JUST/2013/JPEN/AG/4592 The project named “Alternatives to imprisonment: identification and exchange of good practices” has the financial support of the Criminal Justice Programme of the European Union. The contents of this document are the sole responsibility of the Associazione LIBRA Onlus and in no way can be taken to reflect the views of the European Commission.